Sunday, August 22, 2010

Shape Shifting

Shapeshifting is a common theme in mythology and folklore as well as in science fiction and fantasy. In its broadest sense, it is when a being has the ability to alter its physical appearance. The transformation may be purposeful or not, depending on whether it has been the subject of a curse or spell. In some folklore, once the shapeshifter has become transformed, it becomes progressively more difficult for it to return to its original form.


______________________________________________________________

Wikipedia
License

2 comments:

  1. My question is... is the shapeshifting an inherent ability, a learned ability, a curse, or is it (like some Norse myths) magic that depends upon the ownership of an item that allows for shapeshifting (like Freya's falcon skin, borrowed by Loki to save Idun)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bret,

    Oh awesome, I luv questions. :D Let me see, hmm this one's a humdinger.

    So many options on the menu. I must review:

    . Inherent
    . Learned
    . A Curse
    . Magic (that depends upon ownership of an item
    that allows for shapeshifting)

    God thank you! Oh wow now I have to give this more thought for sure. I'm just learning about shapeshifting. Thank you for turning me on to Norse Mythology. It's been a long time since I've read any. I used to be so brain dead it's great to get familiar with it again. :)

    ReplyDelete