Sunday, August 8, 2010

What is Science Fiction?


Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with the impact of imagined innovations in science or technology. It differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation). Exploring the consequences of such differences is the traditional purpose of science fiction, making it a "literature of ideas". Science fiction is largely based on writing rationally about alternative possibilities. The settings for science fiction are often contrary to known reality, but the majority of science fiction relies on a considerable degree of suspension of disbelief provided by potential scientific explanations to various fictional elements.
These may include:
  • A setting in the future, in alternative timelines, or in an historical past that contradicts known facts of history or the archaeological record
  • A setting in outer space, on other worlds, or involving aliens
  • Stories that involve technology or scientific principles that contradict known laws of nature
  • Stories that involve discovery or application of new scientific principles, such as time travel or psionics, or new technology, such as nanotechnologyfaster-than-light travel orrobots, or of new and different political or social systems (e.g., a dystopia, or a situation where organized society has collapsed).
Wikipedia
License

8 comments:

  1. The green color that you see on my links is from Eye Dropper. It's a "color picker extension for Google Chrome".

    I just found a photo online of a real iguana and presto!

    Iguana-green. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi toni;

    i see you're following all my blogs...not much sci-fi on them, is there? i hope you find something im doing useful, anyway...

    ive read a lot of the old classic sci-fi you probably know, and had a friend who typed mss for robert anton wilson, so ive read all his stuff...but i aint really been much into sci-fi since i was a teenager, and you dont want to know how long ago that was...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there rjs,

    Thank you kindly for your note. :)

    I haven't gone thru you're whole list of blogs yet. ;) So I'm not sure if there's any sci-fi there. It's okay because I welcome non-sci-fi friends to my blog. :)

    Actually, it's a long story, but I haven't read much of anything. Most of my life has been spent in a struggle just to stay alive. "But it's never to late to be what we might have been." George Eliot. ;)

    I luv science and science fiction and fiction so it's a purrrfect art form for me. Let's see the most recent sci-fi book I've read is Burning Skies by David J. Williams. I didn't finish though, lost interest after half-way through. It's like it the author mis-placed the conclusion. haha

    Anyway thanks for sharing your readings of sci-fi, I will look into Robert Anton Wilson. Do you recommend any story in particular by Mr. Wilson? And if you tell me that it's called Denise the Menace I'll LMAO. lol

    Oh wow, teen-age years, those were the days weren't they? C'mon it hasn't been THAT long, I'm sure. What was your fave teen year? Mine was 17. I moved out of my parents house at 17 and got my own place. Wooooohoooooooo!!!!

    Have a good day!

    Toni :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well i dont know about all the blogs my teammate reality zone links to, but most of what i do on mine is economic crisis blogging...

    i'd say anyone interested in robert anton wilson should start with his illuminatus trilogy, which is already a classic...if you finish those, ill guarantee you'll want to read others...cosmic trigger comes to mind as another classic, but a lot of the terminolgy originates in the first trilogy carries through most everything he wrote...

    to date myself, i left home at 18 to join the first vietnam anti-war march on washington, from whence i was on the road for a month before settling down again...sleeping in hallways aint got much to recommend it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogging about economics crisis has got to be challenging...at least it would be for me. It's great that you care about economy so that you can help others care about it. I definitely care about economy, I'm just not well-versed in economics.

    Thank you for your recommendation. I looked up Robert Anton Wilson and his books (on his web site). I am looking forward to diving into his world.

    An anti-war march is a good reason to leave home. Good for you! :)

    No sleeping in hallways is not recommended. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. my primary blog is the global glass onion, on which i aggregate crisis links...marketwatch 666 is a team blog i set up for ex-pats from the dow jones site of the same name, i was doing my own analysis there, but ive been less active in the warm weather, so recent posts have been mostly video...and geauga illuminati was my first blog, which has fallen into disuse... in addition to the blogs, every sunday morning i email a less wonkish collection of selections from the global glass onion, along with other "found" links & a brief commentary, to less than two dozen friends who are stuck with me...if you want to be on my mailing list, just contact me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey rjs! I'm back ... finally. Thank you for clarifying the order of your blogs. I've noticed, before you even mentioned it, that ex-pats hasn't been active for a spell. I haven't checked that today so please take that into account. Well, just to let you know, I am going to add your blogs to the front page of my next blog, which will be a world current affairs blog.

    Your point of view is very important. Call me psychic. ;)

    I don't mind being "stuck" with you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. "contact me" is a link to my email address; rjsigmund@gmail.com, write me and i'll put you on my mailing list...

    ReplyDelete